Faculty of Agriculture is a unique institution, the first of privately managed kind, in the nation to meet the growing demands for competitive undergraduate program in agriculture.
The college combines major university benefits and small school advantages, with several community programs focusing on human activity, rural development, sustainable agricultural practices and bio-diversity, an outstanding faculty and good infrastructure—all set against the idyllic backdrop of Uttarakhand’s south-eastern rugged mountains, forest covers and high plains.
The scope of the college has broadened since its founding in, while its purpose remains focused on supporting the development of land-based industries and communities through development resources, education and training provision and rural advisory services.
We have promulgated the highest standards of agricultural education. We share three primary aims:
- Develop the key intellectual and practical skills that enable individuals to realize their social and vocational potential.
- Extend the boundaries of knowledge and understanding by community initiatives.
- Extend our knowledge base across the spectrum of agricultural science and management, put science and human health, soil and environmental science, rural economy and society, food and food marketing.
We have a perspective plan we will use to embody the spirit of our mission and to build on a strong foundation of excellence—outstanding faculty; a strong reputation for attracting high caliber undergraduate students; an enviable track record in placing graduates in their careers; and a commitment to service for farmers in the region.
We have identified the following priority areas to reinforce these existing strengths:
- Increase inter-disciplinary, experimental and entrepreneurial learning opportunities, such as service learning, internships and field experience.
- Strengthen strategic educational partnerships with agricultural universities in other countries.
- Partner with K-12 schools in and beyond the nation to facilitate transfer to and student success in the college.
- Leverage strengths in science and technology in our sister institutions to enhance scholarly excellence with emphasis on inter-disciplinary initiatives including agricultural, medical, life and social sciences.
- Enhance extension programs in high priority areas such as bio-products, organic agriculture, bio-economy, agri-business, human health and wellness, food safety and security, rural vitality and community development .
- Formalize international cooperation agreements with foreign agricultural universities Through academic and professional exchanges; field studies; internships; semester abroad programs; voluntary services etc.
Community and Industry Service
Community and industry service and outreach by our faculty contribute significantly to our reputation as a responsible college of agriculture. We are identifying our core concerns at four interactive communities of interest or market, namely, food, agriculture, environment and rural development and tapping opportunities for collaboration with foreign universities, international organizations and associations, our sister institutions, local governments, neighboring research institutes and other nationally aware NGOs and advocacy groups with strengths in our communities of interest.
We continue to play a significant role in the regional community initiatives including the Extension Projects which aim to increase agricultural productivity in the state of Uttarakhand by contributing to more effective agricultural extension services in the state. This is being achieved by developing improved training programs for extension workers. We have some programs for rural communities in the neighborhood that bring together health, food and nutrition, bio-products and the agricultural sector.